JavaScript är inaktiverat i webbläsaren, läs mer här.


If you wish to get divorced you can apply for divorce to the district court where you are registered.

In order to identify the right district court, click on 'Sök domstol' ('Search for court) above.

  1. You can order a population registration certificate from the Swedish Tax Agency, tel. 020-567 000. 
  2. Complete the standard form ''Joint application for divorce' or 'Joint application for dissolution of registered partnership'. You and your husband/wife can complete the form together. If you are not in agreement about divorce you can in most cases complete it alone. Contact the district court if you are uncertain about how you should complete the form.
  3. If you have children under the age of 18, state whether custody should be joint or if either of the parents should have sole custody. If only one of the parents should have custody, state whom. If you need assistance, you can refer to an advokat's offices.
  4. Pay the application fee of SEK 900. Use the online payment service for application fees (link opened in new window). 
  5. Send or submit the form to the district court together with population registration certificates.

If neither of you live together with your own children and you have jointly applied for a divorce, the district court may issue a judgment as soon as possible. If you wish, you can have a period for reconsideration before you get divorced. The period for reconsideration is always at least six months and at most one year. Note that if you still want to get divorced when the six months have expired, you must give notice of this to the district court (so-called completion). This notification must be received by the district court after the six months have expired. You must also then submit new population registration certificates. If the notification for completion is not received by the district court within one year, the matter will be written off.

If you have children living at home (yours, your wife's/husband's or common children), or if one of you does not wish to get divorced, you will always get a period for reconsideration.  

If you have lived apart for more than two years you can have a divorce directly, even if you have children and do not agree on getting divorced. In that event you should enclose a certificate of separate living signed by two people who know you well.

Senast ändrad: 2018-03-15